Sarah finished her PhD at UBC in late 2016 and now works as a postdoctoral research fellow with GIF. Her projects focus on GIFtools and applying electromagnetic methods to geophysical problems.
- PhD, Geophysics, The University of British Columbia, 2016
- BSc, Geophysical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2010
Current and past projects:
- Continued development of GIFtools and usage for applied geophysical problems
- Characterizing the hydrogeology of southern Alberta using airborne EM
- Geologically-constrained inversion of airborne EM data over the Athabasca oil sands
- Time-lapse inversion of electric and EM data for SAGD steam chambers
- Three-dimensional EM inversion of growth-impeded SAGD steam chambers
- Detecting and imaging SAGD steam chambers using electromagnetic methods
- The effect of temperature, saturation, and salinity on the conductivity of heavy oil reservoirs during SAGD processes
- Tli Kwi Cho kimberlite area: inversion of gravity and gravity gradiometry data; joint inversion of 3 magnetic data sets
- Survey design for electromagnetic methods
- Tli Kwi Cho kimberlite area: inversion of VTEM (time-domain EM and magnetic) data
- Improving inverse model resolution using sensitivity matrix analysis
- 3D frequency-domain EM response due to changes in temperature and salinity
- 3D ZTEM inversion of Eleven Mile Canyon geothermal area in Nevada
- TDEM inversion of uranium deposit in Virgin River area, Athabasca basin, SK
- Stable downward continuation of magnetic data for UXO applications
- Geophysics for archaeology at Chimney Rock Great House, CO
- Devriese, S. G. R., K. Davis, and D. W. Oldenburg, ~, Inversion of airborne geophysics over the Tli Kwi Cho kimberlite complex, Part I: Potential fields, accepted for publication in Interpretation in February 2017.
- Devriese, S. G. R., and D. W. Oldenburg, 2016, Feasibility of electromagnetic methods to detect and image steam-assisted gravity drainage steam chambers, Geophysics, 81, E227-E241 .
- Devriese, S. G. R., and D. W. Oldenburg, 2015, Imaging SAGD Steam Chambers: Traditional ERT vs Broadband Electromagnetic Methods, CSEG Recorder, 40, 16-20.
- Li, Y., S. G. R. Devriese, R. Krahenbuhl, and K. Davis, 2013, Enhancement of UXO magnetic data using stable downward continuation, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 3605-3614
Selected conference proceedings:
- Devriese, S. G. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, 2017, Electromagnetic methods for oil sands characterization and monitoring: accepted for Exploration '17.
- Lauer, R., L. R. Bentley, B. Smerdon, S. G. R. Devriese, D. A. Kent-O'Donnel, and M. D. Law, 2017, Investigating the utility of airborne electromagnetic surveys for mapping local and regional hydrogeology in the Edmonton-Calgary corridor: accepted for IAH Regional Groundwater Symposium
- Devriese, S. G. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, 2016, From exploration to reclamation: Using EM methods at SAGD sites in the Athabasca oil sands: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 965-970.
- Devriese, S. G. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, 2016, Application of sensitivity analysis in DC resistivity of SAGD steam chambers: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 937-941.
- Devriese, S. G. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, 2015, Time-lapse three-dimensional electromagnetic inversion of growth-impeded SAGD steam chambers: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 2842-2847.
- Devriese, S. G. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, 2014, Enhanced imaging of SAGD steam chamber using broadband electromagnetic surveying: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 765-769.
- Devriese, S. G. R., N. Corcoran, D. Cowan, K. Davis, D. Bild-Enkin, D. Fournier, L. Heagy, S. Kang, D. Marchant, M. S. McMillan, M. Mitchell, G. Rosenkjar, D. Yang, and D. W. Oldenburg, 2014, Magnetic inversion of three airborne data sets over the Tli Kwi Cho kimberlite complex: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 1790-1794.
- Fournier, D., L. Heagy, N. Corcoran, D. Cowan, S. G. R. Devriese, D. Bild-Enkin, K. Davis, S. Kang, D. Marchant, M. S. McMillan, M. Mitchell, G. Rosenkjar, D. Yang, and D. W. Oldenburg, 2014, Multi-EM systems inversion - Towards a common conductivity model for the Tli Kwi Cho complex: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 1795-1977.
- Devriese, S. G. R., D. W. Oldenburg, and S. Charles, 2014, Using Electromagnetic Methods to Image SAGD Steam Chambers: 2014 CSEP CSPG CWLS Conference (Geoconvention).
- Devriese, S. G. R, D. W. Oldenburg, J. Shoffner, 2012, Three-Dimensional Inversion of ZTEM Data at the Elevenmile Canyon Geothermal System, Nevada, GRC Transactions, 36.
- GRC Best Presentation Award
- Mitchell, M. A., S. G. R. Devriese, R.N. Frary, 2010, Archaeological investigations using geophysics at the Chimney Rock Great House: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 3784-3788.
- Li, Y. and S. Devriese, 2009, Enhancement of magnetic data by stable downward continuation for UXO applications: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 1464-1468.
- Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (CSEG)
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- Canadian Geothermal Energy Association
Where else you can find me...
Outside of UBC, I'm likely at higher elevations, either mountain biking, snowboarding, or skiing. Throughout summer, I guide mountain bike rides at various levels with my local cycling association TORCA or with the Coquitlam School District mountain bike team. I'm also a director on TORCA's board and primarily focus on writing funding grants, guiding rides, drafting monthly meeting agendas, and working with local and provincial government to legitimize local trail networks. I also volunteer to maintain existing bike trails, plan events, and promote sustainable mountain biking. I am a certified mountain bike instructor and teach at the beginner and intermediate levels with a local start-up company Ozmosis Training. For 2017, I'm an ambassador for Norco John Henry Bikes. Winter equally draws me the mountains, especially on a powder day!